Brother - Environmental Consideration is Essential
Brother is ‘At Your Side’ for sustainability with nearly a million kilograms of cartridges collected through ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark’ (C4PA). We asked Alex Rodriguez, Brother’s Corporate Social Responsibility and Compliance Manager, why they became involved in the program and what his top sustainability tips are for your workplace.
Why did Brother become involved?
Brother was a founding member and major sponsor of C4PA from the outset and continues to be a strong supporter. It’s simply the right thing to do. Brother’s motto is ‘at your side', and that includes partnering with environmental sustainability programs like C4PA.
Partnering with programs like C4PA, forms part of Brother’s overall product stewardship management strategy and is just one example of Brother’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives. Being part of this program allows Brother to take responsibility for the cartridges it produces. Through its CSR initiatives, Brother helps society achieve sustainable development, by positively and continuously considering the environmental impact of all aspects of business operations.
What interests you personally about working in sustainability?
Sustainability is an essential ingredient in business and life. We all share the same planet, so sustainability becomes a critical concept that every person and business should be aware of. I am a believer of the ‘triple bottom line’ principle – people, planet and profit. All three are key ingredients to success in business, but do they all carry the same weight? I believe they are interdependent, and each carries their fair share of importance. If we don’t look after all three, then we are in business for the wrong reasons.
Which environmental achievements for Brother are you most proud of?
Brother conducts an in-house office sustainability program called the ‘Eco Point Program’. The program sets out a series of monthly ‘eco actions’ for staff to carry out in return for points. Points are tabulated and converted to a donation to the local volunteer bush care group, Friends of Lane Cove National Park. Staff also participate in National Tree Day at the Lane Cove National Park.
The aim of the program is to educate staff and increase their awareness of sustainability matters such as energy and resource consumption reduction, and encouraging re-use and recycling, to name a few. Although it’s a voluntary system, around 90% of staff get involved and participate in the program each year.
The program was recognised by the Brother Global Group in 2012 and 2013 when it was awarded for its outstanding environmental contribution.
Tell us your top 3 sustainability tips for businesses.
- Duplex or double-sided printing as it reduces paper use significantly and almost all Brother printers have an auto duplex function.
- Collect and re-use paper when printing just on one side of the page.
- Ensure you have plenty of paper recycling collection boxes throughout the office to facilitate recycling.
What new eco-innovations can we expect from the world of Brother printers or cartridges?
I can’t comment on new eco-innovations but I can tell you about some recent ones.
- Low Energy Standby - Brother has developed a new low standby power technology, “Low Energy Standby” in which the standby power can be very close to zero.
- Coatless Surface - New Brother molding technologies means we no longer need to apply coatings. This reduces VOC (volatile organic compound) emission at both the manufacturing and recycling stage of our printer lifecycles, and to reduce the energy consumed in the coating and drying process.
- Air Flow Simulation Technology - The hot air that is generated inside a printer while printing should be efficiently exhausted to maintain the desired temperature inside the machine. Through intensive investigation, the air flow inside a printer was able to be effectively controlled and the number of cooling fans reduced resulting in a reduction of power consumption.
Find out more about: