Printer Cartridges are Driving Innovation
Author: Ryan Collins
Recycled toner cartridges, collected though 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark', are part of a world first trial. Recycled cartridges and tyres are being used together to produce new roads across country Australia. The new surfacing, called Tonerseal, has a low carbon footprint and last longer than the average road.
Current best practice is for recycled spray seals to use 15% to 18% crumb rubber. Tonerseal aims to prove that with innovation, even more recycled content can be used. Every 1km of road lane paved with Tonerseal will use around:
- 6,400 recycled toner cartridges, and
- 145 car tyres
Trials are currently being undertaken in Moreton Bay Regional Council in Queensland and in the ACT. It is estimated that the 1.4km stretch of Tonerseal road in Kaleen, ACT will save nearly 1 tonne of carbon emissions.
Downer, who also make TonerPave (the world’s first road base to use recycled toner), consulted with key stakeholders such as Close the Loop (the logistics partner of 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark'), Tyre Stewardship Australia and Yarra Ranges Council in Victoria to create this new benchmark in sustainability. Ground-breaking partnerships are what ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark’ was founded on, bringing together different organizations for a positive outcome.
It’s this type of innovation that is turning waste into a valuable resource and enabling the circular economy. And you’re part of it!
- Find a 'Cartriges 4 Planet Ark' retail drop off location near you or find out if your workplace is eligible for a free collection box box. (Australia Only.)
Find more information about:
- Did Your Council or Workplace Make the Top Ten? »
- Thanks Australia! 13,500 Printer Cartridges Recycled Every Working Day »
- An Impressive 10 Million and Counting »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Zero Waste Audit Results for 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark' Program Partner »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- You made June our Biggest Month Ever! »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Selfie Challenge Winners »
- Printage Cartrij? Printer cartres? Printer Cartridges? »
- Reimagining Rubbish as a Resource »
- Selfie Challenge - #WhatsNotToLove »
- Look Who's Recycled 30 Million Cartridges »
- Electrify Recycling »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »