What does January mean for a Christmas Tree?
Author: Rebecca Gredley
Holiday festivities are done and dusted, but it doesn’t always mean the end for real Christmas trees. What happens to them once Santa has taken his sleigh back to the North Pole?
For a potted tree from Eco Christmas Trees, life in January means being replanted on a property in Victoria as windbreakers. Prior to this, they were sold on as hedging trees to the public.
Anna Brock founded the Melbourne based company six years ago, due to her pet peeve of seeing brown, discarded trees decorating nature strips after Christmas.
She came up with the option of providing live, potted rental trees which are delivered, picked up, and then replanted. This closed loop business model primarily takes care of the tree for its Christmas phase, which ends up being a partial amount of the trees life.
She says that the most rewarding part of the business is being able to offer up an option that makes people stop and think about what they’re doing, and begin environmental conversations.
"The competition is people who have a tree, and then the people who are so used to the traditional tree, and trying to break into peoples traditions."
For a potted tree from White Star Christmas Trees, based in Brisbane and Melbourne, January is a time to hopefully be kept alive. Sisters Kate and Shelby provide tree care advice to their customers, including how to repot them and provide food and sunlight.
“People saw it and thought it was a good idea, and some would go out of their way to find something more eco-friendly,” Kate said of their potted trees.
Real Christmas Trees in Brisbane offer a pickup service for their live trees, which are then mulched by the local council.
Business owner Stefan says that their potted trees have become more popular with a "substantial jump" in popularity last Christmas. He also provides advice for customers on how to look after their potted tree throughout the year.
While trees of the plastic varirety are back in storage for the year, live and potted trees are just signing up for their post Christmas duties.
To find out how to recycle a Christmas tree in your area, contact your local council, check RecyclingNearYou, download the RecycleSmart app or call Planet Ark's National Recycling Hotline on 1300 733 712.
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
- Zero waste kit - Making reducing waste easy »
- A pretty, personalised and waste-free Christmas hamper »
- Tips for better holiday motoring »
- The new regifting - giving recycled products »
- 5 things you can create from your holiday waste »
- Keep your eco footprint small these holidays with Planet Ark's holiday hacks »
- Tree talk - Tree sisters »
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Bringing in the green »
- How to fight a festive war on waste at Christmas »
- Australians celebrate 22 years of National Tree Day »
- National Tree Day is this weekend! »
- Scientist Discover Massive New Forests »
- Inspiration is in Our Nature »
- The Circle of (Tree) Life »
- Do De-clutter, Then Recycle »
- Thanks for helping make 2016 a great year! »
- Cleaner Christmas Travel »
- The Secret to Battery-Powered Gifts »
- Magically Turn Your Mobile Into a Meal »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
- Easy Electrifying Recycling »
- Recycle Right At Christmas »
- Be Like Santa and Make A List »
- Don't Worry, Be Appy! »
- How To Eco-Wrap a Present »
- The Gift of an Experience »
- Do Celebrate Less Waste at Work »
- Do Durable Decorations or Make Your Own »
- Get Crafty this Christmas »
- How to Reduce Spending and Your Eco-Footprint This Christmas »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- 5 Photos You Can Take to Help the Environment »
- Our coordinators have done a tree-mendous job! »
- Community Garden Transformation Competition 2016 »
- Students grow more with nature »
- Community Garden Competition »
- The benefits of gardening for little people »
- Inspirational teachers share their story on improving student performance (CPD points) »
- Mother's Day green gift ideas »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- Love a Tree »
- 'Tis the Season to De-Clutter »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Cleaner Transport »
- Discount Tickets for 'dirtgirl's get grubby the musical' at the Opera House »
- Batteries Included »
- Electrify Recycling »
- Recycle Right »
- Full Tummy Empty Bins »
- Recycle your old mobiles & help the Salvos »
- Have an Appy Christmas »
- Re-Wrap It Up »
- Schools Tree Day 2015 Winners Announced »
- Give Thoughtful Gifts »
- Celebrate Recycling at Work »
- 'Appy' Christmas gift from Planet Ark »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- 2015 Grow Up With Nature Photo Competition Winner Announced »
- Awake to the Fun of Recycling »
- Planet Ark Project - Answering Kid's Questions »
- Reduce Your Pet's Paw Print »
- Fun & Easy Gardening Tips For Kids »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- A Rock 'N' Roll Tree Day »
- Grow Up With Nature - Competition »
- Get Grubby Then Get Clean »
- Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old »
- Dabbling in DIY »
- The art of upcycling »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »
- The Real Tree Day Stars - Our Site Coordinators »
- Turning Trash Into Treasure »