Grow More With National Tree Day
Author: Rebecca Gredley
National Tree Day is a fun, inspiring way to spend time outdoors with family, friends and your local community. In 2015, 1.2 million plants were put into the ground at sites right across the country.
This year Tree Day is coming of age and turning 21. So Planet Ark and our friends at Toyota want to grow more and are looking for site coordinators for Schools Tree Day on Friday 29th July and National Tree Day on Sunday 31st July to help make it happen.
Research shows that spending time in nature is key to growing a healthy mind, body and planet, and there’s no better way to embrace these benefits than by taking part in Planet Ark’s iconic twenty-one year environmental campaign.
National Tree Day is an opportunity to do something good for the environment and give back to the local community in a meaningful way. You'll be joining thousands of generous, green-minded individuals to make a difference, reconnect with nature, plant for the future and enjoy Australia’s unique natural environment.
It’s not essential to be a planting professional or even have a green thumb to be a site coordinator. We’ll provide ideas and assistance if you can provide a place to plant. Dig in and register to run a tree planting site or nature-care activity near you. Simply register your site online and to find out more visit treeday.planetark.org or call the Hotline on 1300 88 5000.
The site can be at your local park (with council support), your child’s school, office or workplace, a sports field, Scout Hall or place of worship. Hosting a site is a fulfilling way to engage with the wider community and to benefit from positive health and wellbeing outcomes. Planting can even be in your own backyard, patio, balcony or street.
Debbie Agnew, National Tree Day Manager, says that joining the much-loved nature campaign is an important way to branch out to your local community and become your best.
“For every hour of outdoor recreational activity that Australians engage in, we spend seven hours in front of a screen. This year’s National Tree Day theme is Grow More – Just Add Nature, which looks at how we can use the power of nature to help us reach our full potential in all aspects of our lives. We all need nature to thrive,” she says.
“Our research shows that Australian children are at risk of growing into an unhappy generation by living an inside lifestyle and being disconnected from nature. But the impacts of just adding nature are significant, including benefits to mental and physical health.”
Register your site before May 31st for your chance to win a $500 VERTICAL GARDEN provided by our friends at Garden Beet. A vertical garden means that growing what you love is in easy reach. You’ll be able to transform any indoor or outdoor wall, patio, rail or fence into a living, breathing work of art, so REGISTER TODAY.
Last year nearly 300,000 people took part in National Tree Day at over 3,500 sites across the country. Over 1.2 million native trees, shrubs and edibles found a new home and helped to green otherwise grey areas.
- Tree talk - Tree sisters »
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Bringing in the green »
- Our Schools Tree Day and National Tree Day »
- Sydney breathing wall a world first »
- National Tree Day Research 2018: Connect in Nature »
- Threatened koalas receive NSW rescue package »
- Celebrating 25 years of positive environmental action »
- Our green resolutions »
- Calling for 2018 National Tree Day supporters »
- Australians celebrate 22 years of National Tree Day »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
- Get Crafty this Christmas »
- Our coordinators have done a tree-mendous job! »
- Community Garden Transformation Competition 2016 »
- Australians celebrate 21 years of National Tree Day »
- School Garden Transformation Winners 2016 »
- Students grow more with nature »
- Find A Tree Day Event in Your Area »
- Grow a Green Thumb »
- The Birds and the Trees »
- Community Garden Competition »
- Adding Trees - A Prescription for Health, Happiness and Fulfilment »
- Meet the Tree Day Team - We're Here to Help »
- Ten Years of Bringing Value to the Community »
- WIN a $7,500 makeover for your school this National Tree Day! »
- The Importance of Green Public Spaces »
- The benefits of gardening for little people »
- Inspirational teachers share their story on improving student performance (CPD points) »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- New Year, New Products »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Discount Tickets for 'dirtgirl's get grubby the musical' at the Opera House »
- Schools Tree Day 2015 Winners Announced »
- 2015 Grow Up With Nature Photo Competition Winner Announced »
- Planet Ark Project - Answering Kid's Questions »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- A Rock 'N' Roll Tree Day »
- Grow Up With Nature - Competition »
- Get Grubby Then Get Clean »
- Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old »
- Dabbling in DIY »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »
- The Real Tree Day Stars - Our Site Coordinators »