It pays to be paper wise in the office
Author: Claire Bell
The concept of a ‘paperless’ office was once a lofty goal as workplaces moved into the new millennium. But how does that translate into reality in 2018? Many workplaces have made great improvements in their sustainable paper use, but there’s always room for more!
We’ve put together some top tips on keeping paper use as sustainable as possible, whilst balancing the practicality of it still being a needed resource.
Minimise and maximise!
- We’ve all seen the tagline on emails ‘consider the environment before printing’, and at Planet Ark we agree! Minimise the need to print by reading on a screen when possible, and use tools in Microsoft Office or Google documents to update live documents.
- If printing is required, maximise your paper use by printing on both sides when possible. Use out of date letterheads or papers with old logos for informal internal printing, or make notebooks.
- Encourage paper recycling, with under desk recycling bins.
Make the right choice
- Not all paper is made equal. Consider the best sustainable option available when procuring office paper. Planet Ark Paper is carbon neutral, FSC certified, 100 % recycled Australian Made office paper. This not only means you are using high-quality office paper with a low environmental impact, it also means you are supporting Planet Ark's campaigns which is a win-win all round!
- If you’re printing, then you must have a printer. Are you recycling your cartridges? Sign up for our FREE Cartridges 4 Planet Ark recycling program - if you use more than 3 printer cartridges a month, you may qualify for a workplace collection box. Alternatively, find your nearest drop-off location here.
Want to do more?
- Save the date in your office diary for a Friday File Fling on November 16th, and have fun while decluttering and getting good quality office paper back into circulation by recycling.
- Find out where to recycle our materials at BusinessRecycling.com.au.
- Find out more about recycling initiatives in your workplace at recyclingweek.planetark.org/business/.
- Australia's tallest engineered timber office building opens »
- Freo backs six-storey timber office building »
- Your workplace can give back this Christmas »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- 4 barriers to workplace behaviour change »
- WeWork takes out entire lease of Daramu House in Barangaroo »
- Melbourne to get its first timber commercial office building »
- Seven environmental initiatives from Officeworks »
- Lendlease has received the green light for a second timber office building at Barangaroo South. »
- Approval granted for New Zealand's tallest wooden office block »
- Win the war on waste at work! »
- Office paper flung all over the country »
- Draft NSW Waste and Resource Recovery Infrastructure Strategy 2017-2021 »
- Celebrating more than 10 years being Carbon Neutral »
- Fight waste and get a bargain at the Big Aussie Swap »
- 10 waste reducing tips from the Planet Ark staff »
- International House Sydney wins two major international design awards »
- National Tree Day is this weekend! »
- Planet Ark pays tribute to former Head of Campaigns, Brad Gray »
- An Impressive 10 Million and Counting »
- Three Behaviour Change Tricks for Home or Work »
- Win An iPad Pro by Taking Our Survey »
- New Scrap Metal Legislation for NSW »
- Wood - Nature Inspired Design Report Launched on World Wood Day »
- 4 Ways to Make the Business Case for Less Waste »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- It's Time For Another Fling »
- There's a Machine for That! »
- Help a Deafblind Person With Your Unwanted Smartphone »
- Community Garden Competition »
- Adding Trees - A Prescription for Health, Happiness and Fulfilment »
- Don't Miss Out On Funding Grants »
- The Importance of Green Public Spaces »
- Learn From The New Wave In Innovation »
- Going Bananas About Waste »
- Working Together To Reduce Food Waste »
- Reducing Waste and Costs for Business Happiness »
- Compacting Waste Costs By 50% »
- What's the Deal With Business Waste? »
- A Tablet for Your Thoughts »
- Have A Light Bulb Moment With Broken Bulbs »
- Change Accelerates 'Wood First' Policies »
- Get Your 2016 Environment Action Planner »
- How To Save On Waste Costs »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Drink Coffee? Take our Coffee Recycling Survey »
- Best Fling Ever »
- Recycle your old mobiles & help the Salvos »
- Trim Your Waste »
- Celebrate Recycling at Work »
- Save the date! 'Waste Not, Want Not' Day is coming »
- $50,000 Rebate Open for NSW Businesses to Increase Recycling »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- Let the Flings Begin »
- Recycling Role Models »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Answers to the Big Recycling Questions »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- Power Tool Battery Recycling Pilot Launches in Brisbane »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- E-Waste Busters »
- Identifying Asbestos »
- One House, Four Hours, Four Tonnes of Recycling »
- Creative Composting »
- Turning Trash Into Treasure »